The best part of the changing seasons? The stores. It’s just a wonderful reason to restock wardrobes with the latest autumn or summer range.
It’s a chance to rethink your standard style, brave a few of the new trends and step out of your comfort zone. Everyone else is doing it so why shouldn’t you?
For those planning winter wardrobes, here are a few trends to look out for:
1. The 70s was rife with flared pants and mini skirts. That groovy feeling is back; mix it up soft and pretty blouses in lavish satins and silks. Take advantage of a bit of colour streaming in – Ruby and Scarlet Reds or Sapphire and Cobalt Blues with faux fur detail in a palette of rust, burnt amber and ivory.
2.The 40s-inspired tea dress oozes vintage romance. Wear it in soft colours, with lace and flower prints. This dress, once worn only for evening semi-casual outings, has been polished and paired up with new look knits to become a rightful daywear dress.
3. Another big trend this winter are remade pieces reminiscent of the 60s. Drop waists, tunics, pilot jackets, Stovepipes jeans and Shift tops. The silhouette is defined by simpler, clean lines that are best left unembellished.
4. Something to create easy attitude is the ever prevalent urban pull towards “androgyny”. Now we all have reasons to borrow pieces from our boyfriends, brothers and fathers wardrobes. Button up Shirts, boyfriend blazers and cropped pants teamed with boyish lace-up boots are a definite win.
5. Finally, think Bohemian rhapsody meets country. Aztec prints, Faux fur vests, cotton check. Mix it up with the ever reliable denim.
Absolute must haves…
1. The Classic Cardigan – to be wore layered over blouses or belted, with mid length skirts, or teamed with skinny jeans or even a forties tea dress.
2. Boots, boots, boots and more boots. Flat, stacked, slouched, biker, wedge or stilettoed. Ankle or knee grazers; boots are this season’s footwear fancy!
3. Glove. Yes! It’s time for ultra feminine options in every colour, they are a must!