It’s almost time to ditch the winter gloom for spring’s fresh trends. Boasting bright colours, retro patterns and great weather, the new Spring/Summer fashion season is certainly something to look forward to!
The 60s have made a swinging comeback, with monochromatic prints and graphics ala Marc Jacobs’ and Roland Mouret’s runway styles. A little closer to home, designer David Tlale has also put his stamp of approval on ‘mod’.
Now, this is not to say that you need to rid of everything in your wardrobe that isn’t retro. Trends come and go and come back again so keep the staples at bay and add the odd high fashion item, to mix and match.
Create a “Wardrobe Wishlist” of the following staple items:
1. LBD – The Little Black dress is the most versatile, stylish, sophisticated item of clothing a woman can own. Dress it up for a fancy date or smarten it up for the big interview.
2. White shirt – these go well with jeans for a coffee date and even better with a pencil skirt for the corporate look. Paired with the right bottom and killer heels, C’est très chic!
3. Well-fitted jeans – no lady, no matter her size, can do with a pair of well-fitted jeans. These can literally be paired with ANYTHING!
4. Pencil skirt – can go from corporate glam to date night in 3 seconds. Change your shoes and you have your movie/dinner dates outfit in as long as it takes you to change your shoes.
5. Black heels – a pair of black heels can take you from landing the big interview, to landing your dream catch! These shoes are versatile, smart and sexy. Find a pair that won’t kill your budget, or your feet, and you’ll find that with the confidence you gain, the day becomes a lot easier.
Oh, and don’t be afraid to add something bright to your outfits like a bag, cardigan or accessory, be creative, feel comfortable and most importantly, love yourself in it.
– Nicole Klein