The first 24-hour Comics Day (24HCD) in Cape Town will be held at Hoodwinx Creative space in Woodstock from Saturday, 1 October at 2pm until Sunday, 2 October 2011 at 2pm. 24HCD is an event held around the world which challenges writers and artists to create a full 24-page comic in 24 consecutive hours.
Hoodwinx will provide space, tables and chairs, gallery space and music. Co/Mix will provide artworks, artists, art supplies and movies.
More About Hoodwinx
Hoodwinx is created as a home for artists and creative South Africans to express their unique creative voice, as well as a space for public discussions, debates and campaigns on issues that are of benefit and relevance to community advancement.It is an art cafe that offers a platform for Independent South African artists and creative people from all walks of life. It is a unique concept housing independent South African books, films, music, art, and performance. It is a platform for knowledge and information sharing on relevant issues that raise consciousness and awareness. The brand and its custodians live by the values of honesty, self expression, freedom, love, compassion, joy, inspiration and consciousness.
The audience will be inspired and entertained with animation and graphic novel movies from five continents, music and an exhibition with a mix of illustration and comic art. There will also be a live-feed with 24HCD in Amsterdam, organised by the ‘sketch battle queen’ Maia Matches. There will be a small award ceremony held at the end with winners of first, second and third prizes.
* Erik Kriek (The Netherlands) lives in Amsterdam where he studied illustration and graphic arts at the Rietveld Academy for Art and Design. He is a freelance illustrator and comic artist.
* Maia Matches (The Netherlands) was born and raised in Toronto, presently conjuring up comix in Amsterdam. She studied Fine Arts and Sculpture at the Academy of Arts and Design, ‘s-Hertogenbosch.
* Mogorosi Mothsumi grew up in Batho township near Bloemfontein. His first cartoons appeared in The Friend in 1978. He began his autobiographical graphic novel Hard Rock in 2006, to be published soon.
* Peter Woodbridge is a musician and comic illustrator from Cape town.
* Susan Opperman recently finished her Master of Art degree at Stellenbosch University.
* Trantraal Brothers, Andre and Nathan Trantraal are comic creators from Cape Town.